Sunday, August 10, 2014

Contributing to the profession

In previous posts I have mentioned the concept of Stephen Covey's "true north" principle - that goal or desire held by a person and the alignment of their daily actions to deliver on that goal. One of my true north principles is providing students with quality feedback on their performance. I am fortunate that I can use my association with ACHPER to deliver this message beyond the boundaries of my own school.

However it is my attendance at events coordinated and conducted by other teachers that continues to inform me on my personal practice. Granted not everything I hear will be implemented and become a part of my toolkit, but as the old saying goes "If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got." Improvement can only come from trialling new things. I am a busy man, so I only want to trial new things other teachers have already found successful.

In the near future, I will have the opportunity to share some ideas with existing teachers and students studying an education degree. For me, this is an important role that deserves time and attention. I don't expect that anyone will take my ideas and use them, but if I can help just one person provide better feedback to students each time I present (share) then I have been successful.

Negotiation with my principal and own ethics in regards to classroom contact time is a consistent challenge. It is not fair on my students that I do not attend class in favour of sharing with other teachers. When I can the presentations (sharing sessions) are held outside of school hours. At times this is not possible, but it does minimise impact on my own classes.

I urge you, regardless of your intent, find opportunities to listen to other teachers share and find opportunities to share your ideas with others.

No comments: